Find out what some of our graduates are doing today in pursuing their successful careers.
Learn more about how we assist our veterans from VA funding to exclusive scholarships.
UTI welcomes General Education Diploma students. Find out more in our resources.
$15 million in grants & scholarships available this year for those who qualify10
It only takes a few minutes to find out how you can get trained.
MIAT Houston will merge with UTI Houston in 2024. We'll streamline program offerings and offer enhanced support services to improve the training experience.
Expand your knowledge in heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration (HVACR, also referred to as HVAC) in Houston, Texas, a bustling city filled with entertainment, live events and great eats. HVACR technician training at the MIAT College of Technology campus in Houston, Texas, is designed to help students train to pursue careers in the HVACR industry in less than a year.1
While training at MIAT Houston, students learn various systems. After completing training, students are prepared to take the exam for the EPA 608 Universal Certification, an HVACR certification valued by the industry.
HVACR attracts a specific type of student. These students often are interested in problem-solving, enjoy basic math and like working with their hands.
No prior experience is needed, since our HVACR courses are designed to build your knowledge from the ground up. Some of the HVAC courses at MIAT Houston include:
This course begins with a study of basic math and mathematical formulas that are used by technicians when performing daily activities. Students explore the fundamentals of refrigeration, including enthalpy, combined gas law, compression and absorption.
Students learn the criteria for selecting the proper tools for a job. With the ability to select the proper tools, students then learn how to properly and safely use the tools that are essential to an HVACR technician.
Students dive into the characteristics and applications of pure and blended refrigerants, as well as the various lubricating oils used in refrigeration systems. This class exposes students to operating principles of compressors used in comfort air conditioning and refrigeration systems.
Students are introduced to electrical theory and principles and their application to HVACR systems. This course also introduces DC and AC circuit operation and electrical fundamentals.
Students learn the function of various electrical components and their functions. This class will familiarize students with the operation, testing and adjustment of conventional and electronic thermostats, as well as the operation of common circuits used to control HVACR systems.
Students learn the principles of ductless and central air-conditioning systems, as well as absorption and evaporative cooling and the operation of components and their locations.
This class expands on what was learned in Air Conditioning Systems I, exposing students to humidity control, thermostats, heating and cooling loads. This course also familiarizes students with air conditioning installation, troubleshooting and service.
Students learn how to install and service commercial systems. This class involves troubleshooting by system diagnosis and component diagnosis.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median annual salary for HVACR technicians in the Houston area was $49,660 in May 2022.58 This means half earned more and half earned less. Keep in mind that salary depends on several factors, including experience, employer, demand and cost of living in the area.
Most of our grads start out working as entry-level technicians or in other entry-level roles. As with any industry, over time, you may be able to advance in your career with hard work. Some entry-level and advanced roles could include:78
With its food trucks, endless entertainment and long summers, Houston can be a great place to train to become an HVACR technician! For a hands-on career with no two workdays exactly alike, training to become an HVACR technician could be a good move.1 MIAT Houston can help equip students with industry knowledge and prepare them for entry-level HVACR careers.
Seeing makes the difference. Decide if MIAT Houston’s HVAC technician training is right for you by scheduling a campus tour.
533 Northpark Central Drive
Houston, TX 77073
888-547-7047 | Campus
Pursue an HVAC career with supportive instructors, hands-on learning in our labs and training completed in just 9 months. Get started on your path toward an exciting future today!
Take 60 seconds and find out how you can get trained.
1) UTI and MIAT are educational institutions and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
2) For program outcome information and other disclosures, visit www.uti.edu/disclosures for UTI and www.miat.edu/disclosures for MIAT.
10) Financial aid, scholarships and grants are available to those who qualify. Awards vary due to specific conditions, criteria and state.
58) The Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVACR) Program prepares graduates for entry-level positions using the provided training, primarily as HVACR technicians. Estimated annual salary is for Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers as published in the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ May 2022 Occupational Employment and Wages. Entry-level salaries are lower for graduates. UTI and MIAT are educational institutions and cannot guarantee employment or salary. Graduates’ achievements vary. Individual circumstances and wages depend on economic factors, personal credentials, work experience, industry certifications, the location of the employer, and their compensation programs. Some graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than as HVACR technicians, such as installation technicians and refrigeration technicians. Salary information for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts: The average annual entry-level salary range for persons employed as Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers (49-9021) in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is $42,100 to $58,670 (Massachusetts Labor and Workforce Development, May 2020 data https://lmi.dua.eol.mass.gov/lmi/OccupationalEmploymentAndWageSpecificOccupations#). Salary information for North Carolina: The U.S. Department of Labor estimates the hourly median wage for skilled HVACR technicians in North Carolina is $23.08 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, May 2022 Occupational Employment and Wages, Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers). The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not publish entry-level salary data. However, the 25th and 10th percentile of hourly earnings in North Carolina are $18.75 and $15.82, respectively.
78) MIAT is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. MIAT prepares graduates for entry-level careers using the provided training. MIAT graduates’ achievements may vary. Some MIAT graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than those listed.
Universal Technical Institute of Illinois, Inc. is approved by the Division of Private Business and Vocational Schools of the Illinois Board of Higher Education.
Start your journey toward a new career