Find out what some of our graduates are doing today in pursuing their successful careers.
Learn more about how we assist our veterans from VA funding to exclusive scholarships.
UTI welcomes General Education Diploma students. Find out more in our resources.
$15 million in grants & scholarships available this year for those who qualify10
35+ relationships with top brands
220,000 grads � and counting
It only takes a few minutes to find out how you can get trained.
The Diesel Technology program offered at Universal Technical Institute’s campus in Austin, Texas, helps gives students the education and experience they need to work on diesel-powered machines and vehicles. In as little as 45 weeks,7 you can graduate prepared for an entry-level career as a diesel technician.1
Students in the Diesel Technology program learn how to repair, diagnose and service heavy-equipment systems, commercial vehicles and diesel engine components. Knowledge is built from the ground up, so all experience levels are welcome.
The program follows UTI’s blended learning model, which provides students with a combination of online instructor-led learning and hands-on application in labs.18
Photo from UTI Orlando campus
In-demand skills are taught in the Diesel Technology program. Courses are designed to provide students with well-rounded experience that can be applied to jobs in the industry. They include:
There are several career opportunities available for diesel technicians in many different industries. Check out this high-level look at some of the industries that utilize diesel technology!
Graduation documents can help you stand out to employers when searching for jobs. Training programs can offer a range of documents to students once they’ve graduated.
Graduates of the Diesel Technology program at UTI Austin will earn diplomas. They also will be prepared to take tests needed for ASE certification and will be able to substitute their training for one of the two years of work experience needed to become ASE certified.
The Diesel program at UTI is designed to help students prepare for entry-level roles. As with any industry, over time, you may be able to advance in your career with hard work. Entry-level and advanced roles could include:77
Learn about some of the different paths in the diesel industry by reading our career guide.
*Not entry-level and is dependent on factors like experience, location, and employer compensation.
The city of Austin has a lot to offer, and the UTI Austin campus lets you enjoy the local attractions during your free time. Catch some live music at an iconic venue or explore one of the nearby racetracks, like Harris Hill Raceway.
301 W. Howard Lane
Austin, TX 78753
M-F | 8am-5pm | Hours Campus Tours
TU&TH | 10am, 2pm, 6pm
W | 10 am & 2 pm
F&SAT | 10am & 1pm
737-284-3100 | Campus 737-284-3194 | Admissions 844-338-0033 | Financial Aid 909-222-9626 | Housing Assistance 469-442-6928 | Student & Career Services
* If you wish to post a job please click here.
Throughout the year, UTI hosts in-person and virtual events so you can stay involved and up to date. Check out the calendar below!
Total diesel technician employment is expected to be 305,800 by 2031,48 so there’s no better time to train for a career in the industry. Want to learn more? Connect with an Admissions Representative to learn more about attending the Diesel Technology program at the UTI Austin campus!
COVID-19 FAQs | COVID-19 Updates | Lab Info | CDC’s COVID-19 website
Click the button and tell us what program you're interested in!
Take 60 seconds and find out how you can get trained.
1) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
2) For program outcome information and other disclosures, visit www.uti.edu/disclosures.
7) Some programs may require longer than one year to complete.
18) UTI now offers all of its automotive, diesel, motorcycle and marine technician training in a blended learning format consisting of online lecture courses along with in-person, hands-on lab training.
29) UTI’s Diesel Technology Program prepares graduates for entry-level positions using the provided training, primarily as diesel technicians. Estimated annual salary shown above is for Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists as published in the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ May 2021 Occupational Employment and Wages. Entry-level salaries are lower for UTI graduates. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Individual circumstances and wages depend on economic factors, personal credentials, work experience, industry certifications, the location of the employer, and their compensation programs. Some UTI graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than as diesel truck technicians, including in industries such as heavy equipment repair, power generation, and agriculture. Salary information for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts: The average annual entry-level salary range for persons employed as Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists (49-3031) in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is $32,360 to $94,400 (Massachusetts Labor and Workforce Development, May 2020 data https://lmi.dua.eol.mass.gov/lmi/OccupationalEmploymentAndWageSpecificOccupations#). Salary information for North Carolina: The U.S. Department of Labor estimates the hourly median wage for skilled diesel technicians in North Carolina is $22.89 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, May 2021 Occupational Employment and Wages, Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists). The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not publish entry-level salary data. However, the 25th and 10th percentile of hourly earnings in North Carolina are $18.59 and $17.03, respectively.
43) For Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects an annual average of 28,500 job openings between 2021 and 2031. Job openings include openings due to net employment changes and net replacements. See Table 1.10 Occupational separations and openings, projected 2021-31, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov, viewed October 13, 2022. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
48) The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that total national employment for Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists will be 305,800 by 2031. See Table 1.2 Employment by detailed occupation, 2021 and projected 2031, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov, viewed October 13, 2022. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
77) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI prepares graduates for entry-level careers using the provided training. UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Some UTI graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than those listed.
Universal Technical Institute of Illinois, Inc. is approved by the Division of Private Business and Vocational Schools of the Illinois Board of Higher Education.
Start your journey toward a new career