Find out what some of our graduates are doing today in pursuing their successful careers.
Learn more about how we assist our veterans from VA funding to exclusive scholarships.
UTI welcomes General Education Diploma students. Find out more in our resources.
$15 million in grants & scholarships available this year for those who qualify10
It only takes a few minutes to find out how you can get trained.
California is the most populous state in the U.S., and its roads have a consistent flow of traffic. There are millions of cars on the road, all of which need maintenance and repair. This makes the state a great place to live if you’re considering a career in the automotive industry. In less than a year, you can get trained as a skilled auto technician at our Long Beach campus.7 Additionally, graduates are prepared to test for auto mechanic certifications, like ASE, upon completing the program.
The Automotive Technology program at Universal Technical Institute is designed to get you career-ready in just 51 weeks,1 building your knowledge from the ground up. Whether you’ve grown up tinkering on cars or are brand new to the industry, this auto school program can help equip you with the skills you need to feel confident when pursuing a career in the field.
At the Long Beach campus, you’ll follow UTI’s blended learning model, which incorporates a mix of online instructor-led training with hands-on application.18 This can give you more flexibility while you complete your program, and it also aligns with the type of training techs complete in the industry.
Students in the Automotive program gain a variety of skills that can be built on throughout the course of their careers. The program covers a variety of topics, including those that can help students prepare to test for auto mechanic certification after graduation. Course topics in the auto school program include:
Meet Ethan Cline, an Automotive instructor at the Long Beach campus. As a UTI grad himself, he has a passion for the industry and enjoys passing his knowledge to the next generation.
When researching any type of training, it’s important to know the graduation documents you’ll earn upon completion of the program. This documentation is something prospective employers could take into consideration when making hiring decisions.
As an Automotive graduate from the Long Beach campus, you’ll earn an Associate of Occupational Studies (AOS) degree.
An AOS degree is based primarily on vocational-level training. This type of degree can be useful when applying for jobs in the field, as it demonstrates that you have completed a certain level of education.
Additionally, students who complete UTI’s Automotive training are prepared to test for ASE certifications, which are highly valued by the industry. Their training can also substitute for one of the two years of work experience required to become ASE certified.
By completing specialized training in addition to their core automotive program (BMW FastTrack), students may be eligible for manufacturer-specific certifications upon graduation.6
UTI Long Beach offers the BMW FastTrack Manufacturer-Specific Advanced Training (MSAT) program. This 12-week program gives students the opportunity to gain skills specific to working with BMW’s lineup of vehicles. Upon completion of the specialized auto school program,
they earn seven factory credentials.
Within the automotive industry, there are many different routes a skilled technician can take. Most of our grads start out working as entry-level technicians or in other entry-level roles. As with any industry, over time, you may be able to advance in your career with hard work. Some entry-level and advanced roles include:77
To learn more about these careers and others, read our career guide.
*Not entry-level and is dependent on factors like experience, location, and employer compensation.
Long Beach offers a variety of things to see and do, making it a great place to call home while you train. The auto school campus is located near exciting attractions like Knott’s Berry Farm, the Long Beach Motorsports Walk of Fame and, of course, the beautiful California coastline. UTI Long Beach is also close to several freeways, making it easy to navigate to and from.
4175 East Conant Street
Long Beach, CA 90808
M-F | 8am-5pm | Hours
TU&TH | 10am, 2pm, 6pm
W | 10 am & 2 pm
F&SAT | 10am & 1pm
562-541-7000 | Campus
800-834-7308 | Admissions
844-308-8840 |  Financial Aid
844-308-8838 |  Student Services
562-541-7058 |  Career Services
* If you wish to post a job please click here.
UTI Long Beach hosts guided tours Monday through Friday, where you can experience what it’s like to be on campus. You’ll meet our staff, see our labs in action and of have the chance to get answers to your questions about UTI.
UTI hosts a variety of different events, both in-person and virtual. Check out our events calendar to see what we have coming up!
Classes at UTI start every 3 to 6 weeks, so there’s no waiting for next semester. If you’re ready to start your journey, request information to connect with an Admissions Representative today. We’re here to support you and help you pursue your dream career!
Click the button and tell us what program you're interested in!
Take 60 seconds and find out how you can get trained.
1) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
2) For program outcome information and other disclosures, visit www.uti.edu/disclosures.
6) UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Individual circumstances and wages depend on personal credentials and economic factors. Work experience, industry certifications, the location of the employer and their compensation programs affect wages. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
7) Some programs may require longer than one year to complete.
10) Financial aid, scholarships and grants are available to those who qualify. Awards vary due to specific conditions, criteria and state.
18) UTI now offers all of its automotive, diesel, motorcycle and marine technician training in a blended learning format consisting of online lecture courses along with in-person, hands-on lab training.
25) UTI’s Automotive Technology Program prepares graduates for entry-level positions using the provided training, primarily as automotive technicians. Estimated annual salary shown above is for Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics as published in the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ May 2022 Occupational Employment and Wages. Entry-level salaries are lower for UTI graduates. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Individual circumstances and wages depend on economic factors, personal credentials, work experience, industry certifications, the location of the employer, and their compensation programs. Some UTI graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than as an automotive technician, such as service writer, smog inspector, and parts associate. Salary information for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts: The average annual entry-level salary range for persons employed as Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics (49-3023) in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is $32,140 to $53,430 (Massachusetts Labor and Workforce Development, May 2020 data https://lmi.dua.eol.mass.gov/lmi/OccupationalEmploymentAndWageSpecificOccupations#). Salary information for North Carolina: The U.S. Department of Labor estimates the hourly median wage for skilled automotive technicians in North Carolina is $21.80 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, May 2022 Occupational Employment and Wages, Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics). The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not publish entry-level salary data. However, the 25th and 10th percentile of hourly earnings in North Carolina are $15.23 and $13.48, respectively.
41) For Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects an annual average of 73,300 job openings between 2021 and 2031. Job openings include openings due to net employment changes and net replacements. See Table 1.10 Occupational separations and openings, projected 2021-31, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov, viewed October 13, 2022. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
77) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI prepares graduates for entry-level careers using the provided training. UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Some UTI graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than those listed.
Universal Technical Institute of Illinois, Inc. is approved by the Division of Private Business and Vocational Schools of the Illinois Board of Higher Education.
Start your journey toward a new career