Find out what some of our graduates are doing today in pursuing their successful careers.
Learn more about how we assist our veterans from VA funding to exclusive scholarships.
UTI welcomes General Education Diploma students. Find out more in our resources.
$15 million in grants & scholarships available this year for those who qualify10
35+ relationships with top brands
220,000 grads � and counting
It only takes a few minutes to find out how you can get trained.
Get hands-on training as you learn the basics of air science through our Airframe & Powerplant Technician training program, which is coming to the Universal Technical Institute campus in Avondale, Arizona, pending FAA approval. Not too far a drive from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, our state-of-the-industry campus can be a great place to train for the aviation industry!1
At UTI Avondale, you’ll experience hands-on labs combined with instructor-led online learning with a curriculum that’s built to fit industry needs.
With our program, students can get trained in 18 months and get prepared to apply and test for Airframe and Powerplant Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) certification.79
Aviation technician can be a great career path for those who are mechanically inclined and have an eye for detail.
UTI Avondale’s Airframe & Powerplant Technician program is designed to build your knowledge from the ground up — no prior experience is needed! Here are some highlights of courses in the program (course titles and descriptions are subject to change):
This course is designed to develop an understanding of the designs of turbine engines used on aircraft to include turbojet engines, turbofan engines and turboprop engines. The multiple operating principles are described, as well as the specific benefit of each for a given application.
This course contains the theory of all instruments and instrument systems used for aircraft flight and navigation. In addition, students are exposed to real-world aviation databases, like those they can encounter in the workplace, and will develop an understanding of one or more specific avionics systems used in today’s aircraft.
This course is a study of aircraft navigation, communication, approach control systems and autopilot. The course includes inspection, installation, service and FAA regulations.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median annual salary for aviation maintenance technicians in the Phoenix area was $71,940 in May 2021.57 This means half earned more and half earned less. Keep in mind that salary depends on several factors, including experience, employer, demand and cost of living in the area.
Combine that with Arizona’s various national parks, beautifully distinctive landscape and large array of cuisines, and the state can be a great place to train and work!
There are many potential career paths in the aviation industry. Most of our grads start out working as entry-level technicians or in other entry-level roles. As with any industry, over time, you may be able to advance in your career with hard work. Some entry-level and advanced roles could include:77
Photo from MIAT College of Technology campus. Program coming to UTI Avondale pending FAA approval.
Aviation maintenance is a challenging career, which can be fulfilling for those who are mechanically inclined, looking for hands-on work and have a great eye for detail.
Yes! In fact, total aviation technician employment is expected to exceed 139,000 by 2031.71
The length depends on the school and program you choose. With our Airframe & Powerplant Technician training program, you could be prepared to pursue an entry-level role in the industry in just 18 months!
Typically, skilled airframe and powerplant technicians have a great eye for detail, an inclination for mechanics, are good with basic math and prefer hands-on work. Employers often require some form of education, and that’s where attending a training program like ours can help you stand out and help equip you with the basic knowledge needed for an entry-level position.1
Avondale offers beautiful wildlife, festivals and shopping, and is located near Phoenix, the fifth largest city in the country, making it a great place to train and pursue a career. Plus, at UTI’s Avondale campus you can complete aviation maintenance training in just 18 months, so you can feel confident pursuing a career in an industry you’re passionate about.
10695 West Pierce Street, Suite 100
Avondale, AZ 85323
M-F | 8am-4:30pm | Hours
TU&TH | 10am, 2pm, 6pm
W | 10 am & 2 pm
F&SAT | 10am & 1pm
623-245-4600 | Campus
800-834-7308 | Admissions
866-224-8162 |  Financial Aid
800-859-1202 |  Student Services
623-245-4663 |  Career Services
* If you wish to post a job please click here.
Whether you have a passion for aviation or are looking for a role in an exciting, hands-on field, UTI Avondale can provide the training needed to start pursuing a career. Click on the button below to get started today.
COVID-19 FAQs | COVID-19 Updates | Lab Info | CDC’s COVID-19 website
Take 60 seconds and find out how you can get trained.
1) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
2) For program outcome information and other disclosures, visit www.uti.edu/disclosures.
18) UTI now offers all of its automotive, diesel, motorcycle and marine technician training in a blended learning format consisting of online lecture courses along with in-person, hands-on lab training.
57) The Airframe & Powerplant and Aviation Maintenance Technology programs prepare graduates for entry-level positions using the provided training, primarily as aviation maintenance technicians. Estimated annual salary is for Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians as published in the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ May 2021 Occupational Employment and Wages. Entry-level salaries are lower for graduates. UTI and MIAT are educational institutions and cannot guarantee employment or salary. Graduates’ achievements vary. Individual circumstances and wages depend on economic factors, personal credentials, work experience, industry certifications, the location of the employer, and their compensation programs. Some graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than as aviation maintenance technicians, such as turbine technicians or field technicians. Salary information for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts: The average annual entry-level salary range for persons employed as Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians (49-3011) in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is $45,600 to $67,950 (Massachusetts Labor and Workforce Development, May 2020 data https://lmi.dua.eol.mass.gov/lmi/OccupationalEmploymentAndWageSpecificOccupations#). Salary information for North Carolina: The U.S. Department of Labor estimates the hourly median wage for skilled aviation technicians in North Carolina is $28.90 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, May 2021 Occupational Employment and Wages, Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians). The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not publish entry-level salary data. However, the 25th and 10th percentile of hourly earnings in North Carolina are $23.54 and $18.25, respectively.
71) The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that total national employment for Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians will be 139,800 by 2031. See Table 1.2 Employment by detailed occupation, 2021 and projected 2031, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov, viewed October 13, 2022. The Universal Technical Institute family of schools are educational institutions and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
77) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI prepares graduates for entry-level careers using the provided training. UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Some UTI graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than those listed.
79) Program coming to UTI pending FAA approval. UTI aviation programs prepare graduates to pursue entry-level careers in the aviation industry or related fields. Graduates are eligible to apply and test for an FAA-issued mechanic certificate. Career options may be limited without this certificate. Some graduates may get jobs other than aviation maintenance technician such as turbine or field technicians. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
Universal Technical Institute of Illinois, Inc. is approved by the Division of Private Business and Vocational Schools of the Illinois Board of Higher Education.
Start your journey toward a new career