Find out what some of our graduates are doing today in pursuing their successful careers.
Learn more about how we assist our veterans from VA funding to exclusive scholarships.
UTI welcomes General Education Diploma students. Find out more in our resources.
$15 million in grants & scholarships available this year for those who qualify10
35+ relationships with top brands
220,000 grads � and counting
It only takes a few minutes to find out how you can get trained.
From agriculture and construction to manufacturing and mining, many of America’s vital industries wouldn’t run without diesel-powered equipment and vehicles. In less than a year, you can get trained as a skilled diesel tech right here in Long Beach.7
The Diesel Technology program at Universal Technical Institute is designed to help equip you with the knowledge and hands-on skills needed to start a career as a diesel technician.1 In just 45 weeks, you learn to diagnose, repair and replace diesel engines and parts — preparing you to tackle a variety of different projects.
At the Long Beach campus, Diesel students follow UTI’s blended learning model, which combines online instructor-led training with hands-on application in the lab.18 This model was created to mimic the type of training technicians complete in the field.
The Diesel program will take you through a series of courses to build your knowledge from the ground up. These include:
Follow along as UTI students give a behind-the-scenes look at what a day in trade school is really like.
At the Long Beach campus, Diesel graduates earn a diploma. They’re also prepared to take the exams required to earn ASE certifications, which are considered very valuable in the diesel industry. They can also substitute their training for one of the two years of work experience required to become ASE certified.
Diesel technicians aren’t limited to one specific career path. Most of our grads start out working as entry-level technicians or in other entry-level roles. As with any industry, over time, you may be able to advance in your career with hard work. Some entry-level and advanced roles could include:77
Check out our career guide to learn more about these careers and others.
*Not entry-level and is dependent on factors like experience, location, and employer compensation.
UTI Long Beach is located near attractions like Knott’s Berry Farm, the Long Beach Motorsports Walk of Fame and, of course, the beautiful California coastline — making it a great place to complete your training. It’s also near several freeways, connecting it to many different parts of Southern California.
4175 East Conant Street
Long Beach, CA 90808
M-F | 8am-5pm | Hours
TU&TH | 10am, 2pm, 6pm
W | 10 am & 2 pm
F&SAT | 10am & 1pm
562-541-7000 | Campus
800-834-7308 | Admissions
844-308-8840 |  Financial Aid
844-308-8838 |  Student Services
562-541-7058 |  Career Services
* If you wish to post a job please click here.
Curious what life is like at the Long Beach campus? Guided tours are offered every Monday through Friday, and they can provide a great opportunity to see the campus for yourself.
UTI hosts both virtual and in-person events throughout the year. Click the link below to view our events calendar and see what’s coming up!
A career in the diesel industry might be closer than you think. If you’re ready to get started on your training, request information today. We’ll connect you with an Admissions Representative who can answer your questions and help guide you on your journey!
COVID-19 FAQs | COVID-19 Updates | Lab Info | CDC’s COVID-19 website
Click the button and tell us what program you're interested in!
Take 60 seconds and find out how you can get trained.
1) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
2) For program outcome information and other disclosures, visit www.uti.edu/disclosures.
7) Some programs may require longer than one year to complete.
18) UTI now offers all of its automotive, diesel, motorcycle and marine technician training in a blended learning format consisting of online lecture courses along with in-person, hands-on lab training.
29) UTI’s Diesel Technology Program prepares graduates for entry-level positions using the provided training, primarily as diesel technicians. Estimated annual salary shown above is for Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists as published in the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ May 2021 Occupational Employment and Wages. Entry-level salaries are lower for UTI graduates. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Individual circumstances and wages depend on economic factors, personal credentials, work experience, industry certifications, the location of the employer, and their compensation programs. Some UTI graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than as diesel truck technicians, including in industries such as heavy equipment repair, power generation, and agriculture. Salary information for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts: The average annual entry-level salary range for persons employed as Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists (49-3031) in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is $32,360 to $94,400 (Massachusetts Labor and Workforce Development, May 2020 data https://lmi.dua.eol.mass.gov/lmi/OccupationalEmploymentAndWageSpecificOccupations#). Salary information for North Carolina: The U.S. Department of Labor estimates the hourly median wage for skilled diesel technicians in North Carolina is $22.89 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, May 2021 Occupational Employment and Wages, Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists). The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not publish entry-level salary data. However, the 25th and 10th percentile of hourly earnings in North Carolina are $18.59 and $17.03, respectively.
43) For Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects an annual average of 28,500 job openings between 2021 and 2031. Job openings include openings due to net employment changes and net replacements. See Table 1.10 Occupational separations and openings, projected 2021-31, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov, viewed October 13, 2022. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
77) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI prepares graduates for entry-level careers using the provided training. UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Some UTI graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than those listed.
Universal Technical Institute of Illinois, Inc. is approved by the Division of Private Business and Vocational Schools of the Illinois Board of Higher Education.
Start your journey toward a new career