Find out what some of our graduates are doing today in pursuing their successful careers.
Learn more about how we assist our veterans from VA funding to exclusive scholarships.
UTI welcomes General Education Diploma students. Find out more in our resources.
$15 million in grants & scholarships available this year for those who qualify10
It only takes a few minutes to find out how you can get trained.
Phoenix, Arizona, is a rapidly growing city that’s now the fifth largest in the United States. This population increase makes the area a great place to get trained for an automotive career. From mom-and-pop shops to big dealerships, skilled technicians have no shortage of opportunities. Universal Technical Institute’s Avondale campus is located just outside Phoenix and can provide the hands-on training and education needed to enter the industry.
Students take on the maintenance and repair of all kinds of vehicle models in the Automotive Technology program at UTI’s Avondale campus. In less than a year, graduates can be prepared for entry-level careers in the industry.1
The program follows UTI’s blended learning model, which combines online instructor-led training with hands-on application in the lab.18 This type of training aligns with what technicians receive in the field today, and it offers students more flexibility with their schedules.
The Automotive program starts with foundational training and builds on this over the course of 51 weeks. This means students of all skill levels are welcome, and those students will get the education they need to set themselves up for success after graduation. Courses covered in the program include:
Get a behind-the-scenes look at the hands-on training being offered inside the Automotive labs at UTI’s Avondale campus.
Graduation documents that complement your skills and experience are great to present to potential employers once you’ve completed your training.
Graduates of the Automotive Technology program at UTI Avondale earn Associate of Occupational Studies (AOS) degrees.
AOS degrees are based primarily on vocational-level training and can be useful when applying to jobs in the industry to show you completed a specific level of education.
Students who complete UTI’s Automotive training are also prepared to test for ASE certifications, and that training can substitute for one of the two years of work experience required to become ASE certified.16
Students who add additional specialized training to their core automotive program may qualify for manufacturer-specific certifications upon completion.6
UTI’s Avondale campus offers several Manufacturer-Specific Advanced Training (MSAT) programs that Automotive students can apply for after completing their core training. These specialized training programs can provide students with the opportunity to work more closely with a specific manufacturer and gain skills that can help set them apart in the industry.
Technicians can explore different opportunities within the automotive industry after gaining experience and skills. Most of our grads start out working as entry-level technicians or in other entry-level roles. As with any industry, over time, you may be able to advance in your career with hard work. Some entry-level and advanced careers for UTI Avondale grads could include:77
Read our career guide to learn more about potential career paths for Automotive grads.
*Not entry-level and is dependent on factors like experience, location, and employer compensation.
UTI’s Avondale campus is located just outside the city of Phoenix and is close to Phoenix Raceway — a great place for students to spend their time when not in class. There are also plenty of scenic drives around the Valley of the Sun, including Desert Foothills Scenic Drive and the back way to Prescott through Yarnell if you want to hit the high country.
10695 West Pierce Street, Suite 100
Avondale, AZ 85323
M-F | 8am-4:30pm | Hours
TU&TH | 10am, 2pm, 6pm
W | 10 am & 2 pm
F&SAT | 10am & 1pm
623-245-4600 | Campus
800-834-7308 | Admissions
866-224-8162 |  Financial Aid
800-859-1202 |  Student Services
623-245-4663 |  Career Services
* If you wish to post a job please click here.
Check out what the UTI Avondale campus is like during one of our guided tours, which are offered Monday through Friday. They can give you a chance to get questions answered and see the labs and classrooms firsthand!
There are a ton of different events scheduled throughout the year at UTI, and they’re happening both in-person and virtually! Click the link below to check out our events calendar so you can plan ahead.
By training in the Automotive Technology program at UTI Avondale, students can gain education and experience that can help them prepare to enter the industry. If you’ve thought about pursuing a career as an automotive technician, this is your chance. Click the link below to connect with an Admissions Representative who will help you start the process!
Click the button and tell us what program you're interested in!
Take 60 seconds and find out how you can get trained.
1) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
2) For program outcome information and other disclosures, visit www.uti.edu/disclosures.
7) Some programs may require longer than one year to complete.
10) Financial aid, scholarships and grants are available to those who qualify. Awards vary due to specific conditions, criteria and state.
15) Manufacturer-paid advanced training programs are conducted by UTI on behalf of manufacturers who determine acceptance criteria and conditions. These programs are not part of UTI’s accreditation. Programs available at select locations.
16) Not all programs are accredited by the ASE Education Foundation.
18) UTI now offers all of its automotive, diesel, motorcycle and marine technician training in a blended learning format consisting of online lecture courses along with in-person, hands-on lab training.
25) UTI’s Automotive Technology Program prepares graduates for entry-level positions using the provided training, primarily as automotive technicians. Estimated annual salary shown above is for Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics as published in the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ May 2022 Occupational Employment and Wages. Entry-level salaries are lower for UTI graduates. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Individual circumstances and wages depend on economic factors, personal credentials, work experience, industry certifications, the location of the employer, and their compensation programs. Some UTI graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than as an automotive technician, such as service writer, smog inspector, and parts associate. Salary information for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts: The average annual entry-level salary range for persons employed as Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics (49-3023) in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is $32,140 to $53,430 (Massachusetts Labor and Workforce Development, May 2020 data https://lmi.dua.eol.mass.gov/lmi/OccupationalEmploymentAndWageSpecificOccupations#). Salary information for North Carolina: The U.S. Department of Labor estimates the hourly median wage for skilled automotive technicians in North Carolina is $21.80 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, May 2022 Occupational Employment and Wages, Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics). The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not publish entry-level salary data. However, the 25th and 10th percentile of hourly earnings in North Carolina are $15.23 and $13.48, respectively.
41) For Automotive Service Technicians and Mechanics, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects an annual average of 73,300 job openings between 2021 and 2031. Job openings include openings due to net employment changes and net replacements. See Table 1.10 Occupational separations and openings, projected 2021-31, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov, viewed October 13, 2022. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
77) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI prepares graduates for entry-level careers using the provided training. UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Some UTI graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than those listed.
Universal Technical Institute of Illinois, Inc. is approved by the Division of Private Business and Vocational Schools of the Illinois Board of Higher Education.
Start your journey toward a new career