Find out what some of our graduates are doing today in pursuing their successful careers.
Learn more about how we assist our veterans from VA funding to exclusive scholarships.
UTI welcomes General Education Diploma students. Find out more in our resources.
$15 million in grants & scholarships available this year for those who qualify10
35+ relationships with top brands
220,000 grads � and counting
It only takes a few minutes to find out how you can get trained.
Do you dream of working on big engines? Training for a career in the diesel industry may be perfect for you. UTI’s Diesel Technology program can equip you with the knowledge, skills and industry connections needed to help set you up for success in today’s industry — and you can complete your training right here at our Houston campus.
With the Diesel Technology program offered at UTI Houston, you can train to become a skilled diesel technician. Whether you’ve spent your whole life tinkering on engines or have no prior experience, this program can help to get you ready to pursue a career in just 45 weeks.
As a student at the Houston campus, you’ll follow a blended learning model, which combines online instructor-led training with hands-on application in the lab.18 Not only can this provide more flexibility for you, but it’s similar to the type of learning that takes place out in the field.
As a diesel student at our Houston campus, you’ll gain the fundamentals needed to service powerful trucks and engines. Your training will cover topics such as truck brakes and chassis, transport refrigeration and more. Courses in the program include:
Curious what it’s like to train at the Houston campus? Check out this virtual tour to go behind the scenes in our automotive, diesel, welding and collision repair labs.
If you’re considering UTI for your training, you might be wondering what graduation documents you’ll receive upon finishing your program. This documentation can demonstrate your commitment and skill level to future employers.
At the Houston campus, graduates of the 45-week Diesel Technology program earn an Associate of Occupational Studies (AOS) degree. If you decide to continue your training with the Cummins Engines program, you’ll also earn a diploma as a graduate of that program.
In addition to this, diesel graduates are prepared to take the exams required to earn ASE certifications, which are considered valuable by the industry. They can also substitute their training for one of the two years of work experience required to become ASE certified.
The Houston campus offers UTI’s 12-week Cummins Engines program, which is designed to be completed in addition to the core diesel program.46
Cummins invests directly into UTI labs to ensure students are gaining the skills needed to work on their line of equipment. Graduates of this program earn qualifications that allow them to do warranty work if employed later at Cummins distributors and authorized dealers.
UTI’s diesel training is designed to prepare you for a career as an entry-level technician. As with any industry, over time, you may be able to advance in your career with hard work. To give you an idea, here’s a list of common entry-level and advanced diesel jobs:77
Want more information on potential career paths? Check out our career guide.
*Not entry-level and is dependent on factors like experience, location, and employer compensation.
The Houston campus is conveniently located near IAH Airport and is just a drive away from exciting attractions like downtown Houston, Lake Conroe and NASA’s Johnson Space Center.
721 Lockhaven Drive
Houston, TX 77073
M-F | 8am-5pm | Hours
TU&TH | 10am, 2pm, 6pm
W | 10 am & 2 pm
F&SAT | 10am & 1pm
281-443-6262 | Campus
800-834-7308 | Admissions
866-246-1249 |  Financial Aid
800-510-5072 |  Student Services
281-214-7251 |  Career Services
* If you wish to post a job please click here.
Want to experience the excitement of the campus firsthand? UTI Houston hosts guided tours Monday through Friday. This is a great way to see how UTI can help you pursue your career goals.
Whether it be workshops, open houses or industry days, UTI puts on a variety of virtual and in-person events throughout the year. Click the link below to see what’s coming up!
The industry needs skilled diesel technicians. If you’re ready to start training for a career, now’s the time. Diesel classes start every 3 weeks. Request information to connect with an Admissions Representative!
COVID-19 FAQs | COVID-19 Updates | Lab Info | CDC’s COVID-19 website
Click the button and tell us what program you're interested in!
Take 60 seconds and find out how you can get trained.
1) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
2) For program outcome information and other disclosures, visit www.uti.edu/disclosures.
7) Some programs may require longer than one year to complete.
18) UTI now offers all of its automotive, diesel, motorcycle and marine technician training in a blended learning format consisting of online lecture courses along with in-person, hands-on lab training.
29) UTI’s Diesel Technology Program prepares graduates for entry-level positions using the provided training, primarily as diesel technicians. Estimated annual salary shown above is for Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists as published in the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ May 2021 Occupational Employment and Wages. Entry-level salaries are lower for UTI graduates. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Individual circumstances and wages depend on economic factors, personal credentials, work experience, industry certifications, the location of the employer, and their compensation programs. Some UTI graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than as diesel truck technicians, including in industries such as heavy equipment repair, power generation, and agriculture. Salary information for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts: The average annual entry-level salary range for persons employed as Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists (49-3031) in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is $32,360 to $94,400 (Massachusetts Labor and Workforce Development, May 2020 data https://lmi.dua.eol.mass.gov/lmi/OccupationalEmploymentAndWageSpecificOccupations#). Salary information for North Carolina: The U.S. Department of Labor estimates the hourly median wage for skilled diesel technicians in North Carolina is $22.89 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, May 2021 Occupational Employment and Wages, Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists). The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not publish entry-level salary data. However, the 25th and 10th percentile of hourly earnings in North Carolina are $18.59 and $17.03, respectively.
43) For Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects an annual average of 28,500 job openings between 2021 and 2031. Job openings include openings due to net employment changes and net replacements. See Table 1.10 Occupational separations and openings, projected 2021-31, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov, viewed October 13, 2022. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
46) Students must maintain a minimum 3.5 GPA and 95% attendance rate.
77) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI prepares graduates for entry-level careers using the provided training. UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Some UTI graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than those listed.
Universal Technical Institute of Illinois, Inc. is approved by the Division of Private Business and Vocational Schools of the Illinois Board of Higher Education.
Start your journey toward a new career