Find out what some of our graduates are doing today in pursuing their successful careers.
Learn more about how we assist our veterans from VA funding to exclusive scholarships.
UTI welcomes General Education Diploma students. Find out more in our resources.
$15 million in grants & scholarships available this year for those who qualify10
It only takes a few minutes to find out how you can get trained.
MIAT Houston will merge with UTI Houston in 2024. We'll streamline program offerings and offer enhanced support services to improve the training experience.
When searching for the right aviation school for you, consider MIAT College of Technology in Houston, Texas! With our Airframe and Powerplant Technician program, students can get trained in 20 months and be prepared to apply and test for Airframe and Powerplant Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Certification.80
Airframe and Powerplant Technician
Aviation maintenance can be a great choice for those who are mechanically inclined and have an eye for detail. When you choose to train in our Airframe and Powerplant Technician program, you’ll get hands-on learning in state-of-the-industry labs with experienced instructors. Completing an aviation training program at MIAT Houston can help prepare students to pursue entry-level careers in the aviation industry.
No prior experience is needed with MIAT Houston! Our aviation courses are designed to build your knowledge from the ground up. Here are some highlights of aviation courses students will encounter in each program:
Students receive a general introduction to FAA requirements for sheet metal fabrication and repair. In this class, repair procedures and requirements are evaluated and used during this phase of training, and welding will be discussed and demonstrated at an entry level. Fundamental operations such as oxyacetylene equipment operation and safety are included.
Several different types of non-destructive testing methods are explored. Students learn how to identify and select appropriate non-destructive testing methods. They also learn to perform dye penetrant, eddy current, ultrasonic and magnetic particle inspections.
This course acquaints students with basic hydraulic and pneumatic principles, operation, and servicing of equipment. Basic theories are reinforced through hands-on activities like the inspection of a hydraulic pump for efficiency after a detailed disassembly and reassembly by the student.
This course is a study of aircraft navigation, communication, approach control systems and autopilot. It includes inspection, installation, service and FAA regulations, traditional analog gauges, and digital advanced systems.
Students are introduced to gas turbine engines beginning with the history of the development of gas turbines, the theory of jet propulsion, and followed by a study of the major sections of a typical gas turbine engine. After a familiarization of turbine engine development, students learn to identify the intake, compression, hot section, the turbine and the exhaust areas of a given turbine engine.
This course addresses the identification of lubricants and their functions. It includes identifying, servicing and adjusting the components, installing rings and lines, interpreting FAA regulations pertaining to oil tanks, and disassembling and reassembling engine oil pumps.
Most of our grads start out working as entry-level technicians or in other entry-level roles. As with any industry, over time, you may be able to advance in your career with experience and hard work. Some entry-level and advanced roles could include:78
Houston is a bustling city with something for nearly everyone, be it beautiful hikes, art, concerts, sporting events or great eats, making it a great place to train for a career. Plus, the program at MIAT Houston is designed for students to complete aviation training in 20 months, so you can feel confident pursuing a career in an industry you’re passionate about.
Seeing makes the difference. Decide if MIAT Houston is right for you by scheduling a campus tour.
533 Northpark Central Drive
Houston, TX 77073
888-547-7047 | Campus
Whether you’re looking for a hands-on career or you have a passion for aviation, MIAT Houston can help provide the training needed to pursue an entry-level role as an aviation mechanic.1 Click on the button below to get started today.
Take 60 seconds and find out how you can get trained.
1) UTI and MIAT are educational institutions and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
2) For program outcome information and other disclosures, visit www.uti.edu/disclosures for UTI and www.miat.edu/disclosures for MIAT.
10) Financial aid, scholarships and grants are available to those who qualify. Awards vary due to specific conditions, criteria and state.
71) The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that total national employment for Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians will be 139,800 by 2031. See Table 1.2 Employment by detailed occupation, 2021 and projected 2031, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov, viewed October 13, 2022. The Airframe & Powerplant and Aviation Maintenance Technology programs prepare graduates to pursue entry-level careers in the aviation industry or related fields. Graduates are eligible to apply and test for an FAA-issued mechanic certificate. Career options may be limited without an FAA-issued mechanic certificate, and salaries may be lower. UTI and MIAT are educational institutions and cannot guarantee employment, salary, or FAA certification.
78) MIAT is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. MIAT prepares graduates for entry-level careers using the provided training. MIAT graduates’ achievements may vary. Some MIAT graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than those listed.
80) MIAT’s aviation program prepares graduates to apply and test for FAA mechanic certification. Graduates who do not obtain certification may have fewer career opportunities. Some graduates get jobs other than aviation maintenance technician such as turbine or field technicians. MIAT is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment, salary, or FAA certification.
Universal Technical Institute of Illinois, Inc. is approved by the Division of Private Business and Vocational Schools of the Illinois Board of Higher Education.
Start your journey toward a new career