Find out what some of our graduates are doing today in pursuing their successful careers.
Learn more about how we assist our veterans from VA funding to exclusive scholarships.
UTI welcomes General Education Diploma students. Find out more in our resources.
$15 million in grants & scholarships available this year for those who qualify10
Get training in industrial maintenance, a field that’s popular with analytical thinkers who are fascinated by machinery and crave variety in their day-to-day.
The demand for industrial maintenance technicians is growing — employment is projected to grow 16% from 2021 to 2031.64 With our Industrial Maintenance Technician training program, you can get trained
in just 30-39 weeks!
Industrial maintenance technician training offers different career avenues that can be pursued by skilled industrial maintenance technicians. Most of our grads start out working as entry-level technicians or in other entry-level roles. As with any industry,
over time, you may be able to advance in your career with hard work. Some entry-level and advanced roles could include:77
Industrial maintenance technician: Industrial maintenance technicians work in an array of industries, all focused on machinery. These technicians perform repairs and maintenance on machines, check the performance of the machinery, clean them, perform basic diagnostics, test damaged machine parts and determine any necessary repairs.
Installation technician: Duties of an installation technician are to install, maintain, and repair industrial equipment and electrical or mechanical systems. You may work with industrial engineers to solve problems resulting from machinery installation and production floor layout.
Field service technician: Field service technicians are responsible for handling on-site services like repairs and diagnostic testing for machinery. Field service technicians could work at factories, manufacturing plants, construction sites, power plants, or even be responsible for residential service requests, depending on the industry.
Boiler technician: A boiler is a machine that creates heat to generate electricity by pressurizing liquids. A boiler technician is responsible for maintaining the heating systems of buildings that use boilers and radiators to distribute heat. They install boilers, assemble boiler tanks, and inspect, test and repair boiler systems as needed.
Plant technician: Plant technicians maintain the machines and equipment in chemical plants, oil refineries, power plants and other similar facilities. They have the potential to transition to roles as plant operators or power plant operators.
Power plant operator: Power plant operators control the systems that are responsible for generating and distributing electric power to the plant. Daily duties can include reading charts, meters and gauges to monitor voltage, checking equipment for operation efficiencies, adjusting controls to regulate power flow, and starting or stopping other equipment as necessary.
Facilities manager: A facilities manager oversees the building, grounds, equipment and supplies. Their responsibilities encompass several categories, including operations, maintenance, and the planning and managing of projects. A facilities manager may recommend alternative solutions to save costs and reduce waste. In addition, they monitor facilities to ensure the premises are safe and well maintained.
Maintenance mechanic: A maintenance mechanic or major component mechanic performs routine and preventative maintenance services on machines. They may also provide troubleshooting, order replacement parts and document any work performed.
Plant operator: A plant operator maintains and monitors equipment found in chemical plants, oil refineries, power plants and other similar facilities. They might specialize in a piece of equipment or a part of the production process within the plant location.
Major component mechanic: Responsibilities of a major component mechanic include performing planned maintenance on industrial equipment in compliance with established standards. These individuals typically have certifications in stationary engineering and
work in collaboration with component manufacturers to ensure the appropriate tools and specifications are used.
Wondering how much industrial maintenance technicians could earn? You’ve come to the right place!
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median annual salary for industrial maintenance technicians in the United States was $59,830 in May 2022.60 That means half of industrial maintenance technicians earned more and half earned less. Keep in mind that salary depends on several factors, including experience, employer, demand and cost of living in the area.
Of the states with salary data available, here are the top 10 median annual salaries for industrial maintenance technicians, as reported by the BLS in May 2021.*
*Not entry-level and is dependent on factors like experience, location, and employer compensation.
We currently offer the Industrial Maintenance Technician training program at our MIAT College of Technology campuses in Canton, Michigan, and Houston, Texas. The program is coming
to our Universal Technical Institute campus in Rancho Cucamonga, California, and pending regulatory approvals to UTI Lisle in Illinois. To learn more about our program locations, head here.
No matter the location, our students benefit from hands-on labs, supportive instructors
and a curriculum developed with industry experts for training fit to industry needs.18
Are you thinking that industrial maintenance might be the right career path for you? Our Admissions Representatives are happy to answer any questions you have! Click the button below to get started on your journey toward an exciting career.
Take 60 seconds and find out how you can get trained.
1) UTI and MIAT are educational institutions and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
2) For program outcome information and other disclosures, visit www.uti.edu/disclosures for UTI and www.miat.edu/disclosures for MIAT.
10) Financial aid, scholarships and grants are available to those who qualify. Awards vary due to specific conditions, criteria and state.
18) UTI now offers all of its automotive, diesel, motorcycle and marine technician training in a blended learning format consisting of online lecture courses along with in-person, hands-on lab training.
60) The Energy Technology and Industrial Maintenance Technician programs prepare graduates for entry-level positions using the provided training, primarily as wind power technicians or industrial maintenance technicians. Estimated annual salary is for Industrial Machinery Mechanics as published in the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ May 2022 Occupational Employment and Wages. Entry-level salaries are lower for graduates. UTI and MIAT are educational institutions and cannot guarantee employment or salary. Graduates’ achievements vary. Individual circumstances and wages depend on economic factors, personal credentials, work experience, industry certifications, the location of the employer, and their compensation programs. Some graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than as wind power technicians and industrial maintenance technicians, such as installation technicians, field service technicians, boiler technicians and plant technicians. Salary information for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts: The average annual entry-level salary range for persons employed as Industrial Machinery Mechanics (49-9041) in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is $37,420 to $55,050 (Massachusetts Labor and Workforce Development, May 2020 data https://lmi.dua.eol.mass.gov/lmi/OccupationalEmploymentAndWageSpecificOccupations#). Salary information for North Carolina: The U.S. Department of Labor estimates the hourly median wage for skilled wind power technicians and industrial maintenance technicians in North Carolina is $27.05 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, May 2022 Occupational Employment and Wages, Industrial Machinery Mechanics). The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not publish entry-level salary data. However, the 25th and 10th percentile of hourly earnings in North Carolina are $21.85 and $17.94, respectively.
64) Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Industrial Machinery Mechanics, https://www.bls.gov/ooh/installation-maintenance-and-repair/industrial-machinery-mechanics-and-maintenance-workers-and-millwrights.htm. BLS projects total employment will increase from 384,800 in 2021 to 447,900 in 2031. UTI and MIAT are educational institutions and cannot guarantee employment or salary. For program outcome information and other disclosures, visit www.uti.edu/disclosures for UTI and www.miat.edu/disclosures for MIAT.
77) UTI and MIAT are educational institutions and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI and MIAT prepare graduates for entry-level careers using the provided training. Graduates’ achievements may vary. Some graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than those listed.
Universal Technical Institute of Illinois, Inc. is approved by the Division of Private Business and Vocational Schools of the Illinois Board of Higher Education.
Start your journey toward a new career