Find out what some of our graduates are doing today in pursuing their successful careers.
Learn more about how we assist our veterans from VA funding to exclusive scholarships.
UTI welcomes General Education Diploma students. Find out more in our resources.
$15 million in grants & scholarships available this year for those who qualify10
Aviation mechanics get to work on some of the world’s biggest and most important machinery. They can be found in a variety of industries, from commercial airlines that transport people to destinations around the world, to manufacturers and businesses
that ship vital goods and equipment.
If you enjoy working with your hands and are interested in training to become an aircraft mechanic, learn about the aviation mechanic job outlook and how it might impact your future.1
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), there’s a demand for aviation mechanics. In fact, the aircraft mechanic career outlook for total aviation technician employment in the United States is expected
to exceed 139,000 by 2031.71
Also according to the BLS, there were 125,440 aircraft mechanics and service technicians in the U.S. in May 2021. Every state throughout the country employed these technicians.
When you go through an aviation technician training program, you could learn skills that can prepare you for a career as an entry-level aviation mechanic, as well as other career paths. Most of our grads start out working as entry-level technicians or in other entry-level roles. As with any industry, over time, you may be able to advance in your career with hard work. Some entry-level and advanced roles could include:77
An aircraft mechanic job description includes diagnosing electrical and mechanical problems, repairing aircraft components, replacing defective parts and testing aircraft components. Aircraft mechanics perform scheduled maintenance, fix issues and complete
inspections following regulations set forth by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
An aircraft mechanical installer uses hand or power tools to install aircraft structural, electrical, mechanical, hydraulic, and plumbing accessories and components.
Helicopter mechanics specialize in working on helicopter aircraft. Helicopters may be used for purposes including recreation, private transportation and emergency medical services transportation.
Avionics technicians specialize in repairing and maintaining electronic instruments in aircraft. These include radar systems, navigation aids, and radio communication equipment and devices.
According to the BLS, the median annual salary for aviation maintenance technicians in the U.S. was $70,010 in May 2022.57
That means half earned more and half earned less. Keep in mind that salary depends on several factors, including experience, employer, demand and cost of living in the area.
Here are the top 10 median annual salaries by state for aircraft mechanics and service technicians, as reported by the BLS in May 2021.*
*Not entry-level and is dependent on factors like experience, location, and employer compensation.
We offer two programs for aviation mechanic training. Each one prepares students to apply and test for Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) FAA certification.
The Airframe and Powerplant Technician training program is available at our UTI campuses in Avondale, Arizona, Long Beach, California, and Miramar, Florida.79 The A&P and Aviation Maintenance Technology programs are available at our MIAT College of Technology campus in Canton, Michigan.80
Our programs are designed to be completed in 2 years or less and teach skills that include:
Upon completion of the program, graduates will be prepared to apply and test for A&P FAA certification and will be prepared to apply for entry-level jobs in the aircraft technician field.
The answer to is aircraft mechanic a good job depends on your interests, what you enjoy doing, and what your career goals are. If you’re interested in working on aircraft and you want to do a physical job where you get to work with your hands, you might enjoy this field.
According to the BLS, there’s a demand for aviation mechanics. In fact, total aviation technician employment in the United States is expected to exceed 139,000 by 2031.71
According to the BLS, aircraft mechanics and technicians are typically certified by the FAA. Our programs prepare students to apply and test for FAA certification.79
If an aircraft mechanic career path sounds interesting, you can complete training in our programs in 2 years or less that can help prepare you to test for certification and entry-level roles in the field. If you’d like to learn more about training for a career in aviation repair and maintenance, click the button below or call 800-834-7408.
Take 60 seconds and find out how you can get trained.
1) UTI and MIAT are educational institutions and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
2) For program outcome information and other disclosures, visit www.uti.edu/disclosures for UTI and www.miat.edu/disclosures for MIAT.
10) Financial aid, scholarships and grants are available to those who qualify. Awards vary due to specific conditions, criteria and state.
71) The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that total national employment for Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians will be 139,800 by 2031. See Table 1.2 Employment by detailed occupation, 2021 and projected 2031, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov, viewed October 13, 2022. The Airframe & Powerplant and Aviation Maintenance Technology programs prepare graduates to pursue entry-level careers in the aviation industry or related fields. Graduates are eligible to apply and test for an FAA-issued mechanic certificate. Career options may be limited without an FAA-issued mechanic certificate, and salaries may be lower. UTI and MIAT are educational institutions and cannot guarantee employment, salary, or FAA certification.
77) UTI and MIAT are educational institutions and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI and MIAT prepare graduates for entry-level careers using the provided training. Graduates’ achievements may vary. Some graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than those listed.
79) UTI aviation maintenance programs prepare graduates to apply and test for FAA mechanic certification. Graduates who don’t obtain certification may have fewer career opportunities. Some graduates get jobs in aviation or related industries other than as aviation maintenance technicians. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment, salary or FAA certification.
80) MIAT aviation programs prepare graduates to pursue entry-level careers in the aviation industry or related fields. Graduates are eligible to apply and test for an FAA-issued mechanic certificate. Career options may be limited without this certificate. Some graduates get jobs other than aviation maintenance technician such as turbine or field technicians. MIAT is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
Universal Technical Institute of Illinois, Inc. is approved by the Division of Private Business and Vocational Schools of the Illinois Board of Higher Education.
Start your journey toward a new career