Find out what some of our graduates are doing today in pursuing their successful careers.
Learn more about how we assist our veterans from VA funding to exclusive scholarships.
UTI welcomes General Education Diploma students. Find out more in our resources.
$15 million in grants & scholarships available this year for those who qualify10
Take 60 seconds and find out how you can get trained.
Interested in becoming a diesel mechanic? UTI Long Beach is a diesel school near Orange, CA, with courses taught by industry professionals who supply students with the fundamentals of service and repair so that they’re ready to pursue exciting careers after graduation!1
Our Long Beach, CA, diesel mechanic school is a 45-week program where students learn to service various diesel engines through a blended learning model of online instruction and hands-on application in a lab similar to those in the professional world.7,18
This blended learning model resembles the type of continued training technicians often encounter in the field, further preparing students for the industry! The diesel training program also helps prepare students to take the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification test after graduation. Not only will their courses supply them with relevant knowledge, but they can substitute their training for one of the two years of work experience required to become ASE certified.
Diesel school courses include:
The above courses are part of our Long Beach diesel school’s core program. Once complete, eligible students can apply to take specialized diesel training11 with industry-leading names at other UTI campuses nationwide. Specialized diesel training programs at UTI include:
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median annual salary for bus and truck mechanics and diesel engine specialists in the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA, metropolitan area was $$65,590 in May 2022.29 This means half of diesel technicians earned more and half earned less. Keep in mind that salary depends on several factors, including experience, employer, demand and cost of living in the area.
Diesel technician skills are in demand across the country, including California. The California State Assembly's most recent data shows that agriculture, construction, manufacturing, and trade, transportation and utilities are some of the state’s largest industry sectors – all of which rely on diesel technicians to keep them running. So, it may come as no surprise that California boasted the second highest-employment level of diesel techs in the U.S. in May 2021.
UTI’s diesel mechanic training program prepares students for entry-level positions, which may include1:
Most of our grads start out working as entry-level technicians or in other entry-level roles. As with any industry, over time, you may be able to advance in your career with hard work. Some advanced roles may include mobile diesel mechanic, service manager, master technician, or fleet manager.77
Head to our diesel tech career guide to learn more! Please note that the availability of the roles mentioned may differ based on the current demand in Orange, CA.
Park your “diesel mechanic school near me” searches at UTI Long Beach. Getting there from Orange is as simple as following these steps:
4175 East Conant Street    Long Beach, CA 90808 M-F | 8am-5pm | Hours Campus Tours     TU&TH | 10am, 2pm, 6pm     W | 10 am & 2 pm     F&SAT | 10am & 1pm
Airframe & Powerplant program coming to UTI Long Beach pending FAA approval79
This 51-week automotive technician school teaches students the basics of automotive service and repair while helping them prepare to take the ASE certification exam after graduation.7 After completing the program, they receive an Associate of Occupational Studies degree and can pursue entry-level roles with confidence!1
UTI’s 51- to 54-week collision repair school prepares students to restore and refinish vehicles damaged by collision. Some students can add estimating courses onto their track, extending the program by three weeks. Graduates earn industry-leading I-CAR credentials and a diploma!
Created with the help of Lincoln Electric, our 36-week welding school program helps prepare students to pursue entry-level welding roles.1 They learn the four types of arc welding, shop math, how to weld in different positions, blueprint reading, safety standards and more!
Coming to UTI Long Beach pending FAA approval, our 18-month airframe and powerplant (A&P) school program will teach students to inspect, maintain and troubleshoot various aircraft and their components. Graduates earn a diploma and the knowledge they need to pursue exciting entry-level A&P mechanic careers!79
Start chasing your dreams at UTI’s diesel school. Getting started doesn’t have to feel overwhelming. In addition to supportive instructors, hands-on training and an industry-aligned curriculum, UTI Long Beach also offers various support services including Financial Aid,10 Housing Assistance and Career Services.1
Request more info, and we’ll connect you with an Admission Rep!
1) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
2) For program outcome information and other disclosures, visit www.uti.edu/disclosures.
7) Some programs may require longer than one year to complete.
10) Financial aid, scholarships and grants are available to those who qualify. Awards vary due to specific conditions, criteria and state.
18) UTI now offers all of its automotive, diesel, motorcycle and marine technician training in a blended learning format consisting of online lecture courses along with in-person, hands-on lab training.
29) UTI’s Diesel Technology Program prepares graduates for entry-level positions using the provided training, primarily as diesel technicians. Estimated annual salary shown above is for Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists as published in the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ May 2021 Occupational Employment and Wages. Entry-level salaries are lower for UTI graduates. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Individual circumstances and wages depend on economic factors, personal credentials, work experience, industry certifications, the location of the employer, and their compensation programs. Some UTI graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than as diesel truck technicians, including in industries such as heavy equipment repair, power generation, and agriculture. Salary information for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts: The average annual entry-level salary range for persons employed as Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists (49-3031) in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is $32,360 to $94,400 (Massachusetts Labor and Workforce Development, May 2020 data https://lmi.dua.eol.mass.gov/lmi/OccupationalEmploymentAndWageSpecificOccupations#). Salary information for North Carolina: The U.S. Department of Labor estimates the hourly median wage for skilled diesel technicians in North Carolina is $22.89 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, May 2021 Occupational Employment and Wages, Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists). The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not publish entry-level salary data. However, the 25th and 10th percentile of hourly earnings in North Carolina are $18.59 and $17.03, respectively.
77) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI prepares graduates for entry-level careers using the provided training. UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Some UTI graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than those listed.
79) Pending FAA approval, UTI aviation maintenance programs prepare graduates to apply and test for FAA mechanic certification. Graduates who don’t obtain certification may have fewer career opportunities. Some graduates get jobs in aviation or related industries other than as aviation maintenance technicians. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment, salary or FAA certification.
Universal Technical Institute of Illinois, Inc. is approved by the Division of Private Business and Vocational Schools of the Illinois Board of Higher Education.
Start your journey toward a new career