Find out what some of our graduates are doing today in pursuing their successful careers.
Learn more about how we assist our veterans from VA funding to exclusive scholarships.
UTI welcomes General Education Diploma students. Find out more in our resources.
It only takes a few minutes to find out how you can get trained.
When searching for aviation mechanic schools in California, look no further than Universal Technical Institute’s Long Beach campus! Coming soon pending regulatory approvals, our aviation mechanic program offers hands-on learning in state-of-the-industry labs, experienced instructors and a central location in Long Beach. In just 18 months, you could be prepared to pursue an entry-level career in the aviation industry.1
Airframe and powerplant maintenance can be a great career path for those who are mechanically inclined and have an eye for detail.
With our Airframe & Powerplant Technician training program, students can get trained in 18 months and get prepared to apply and test for Airframe and Powerplant Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) certification.79
No prior experience is needed with the Airframe & Powerplant Technician program at UTI Long Beach! Our courses are designed to build your knowledge from the ground up. Here are some highlights of courses students take (course titles and descriptions are subject to change):
Students learn to identify, properly select and use a variety of aircraft hardware and materials used for repair and maintenance. Students learn how to inspect and check welds, and how to perform precision measurements.
Students acquire knowledge and skills based on standard industry practices relating to fabrication and the repair of rigid and flexible fluid lines used in various aircraft systems.
Students receive a general introduction to the FAA’s requirements for sheet metal fabrication and repair. Industry standard practices like de-burring metal to prevent cracking and failure are included. This class includes instruction on special fasteners, layouts, bends in sheet metal, forming and stressed skin repairs.
Students develop advanced skills and techniques used in the workplace. This course includes advanced hardware like Hi-LokTM and Taper-LockTM fasteners.
This course is a study of aircraft navigation, communication, approach control systems and autopilot. The course includes inspection, installation, service and FAA regulations.
Students learn to troubleshoot, service, and repair electrical and mechanical fluid rate-of-flow indicating systems, as well as how to inspect, check, service, troubleshoot, and repair electrical and mechanical engine temperature, pressure, and rpm-indicating systems.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median annual salary for aviation maintenance technicians in the Long Beach area was $79,260 in May 2021.57 This means half earned more and half earned less. Keep in mind that salary depends on several factors, including experience, employer, demand and cost of living in the area.
There are many potential career paths in the aviation industry. Most of our grads start out working as entry-level technicians or in other entry-level roles. As with any industry, over time, you may be able to advance in your career with hard work. Some entry-level and advanced roles could include:77
Photo from MIAT College of Technology campus. Program coming soon pending regulatory approvals to UTI Long Beach.
Long Beach is a bustling city near beautiful beaches, and our campus is in close proximity to Long Beach Airport. It’s also located near Los Angeles, home to the fifth busiest international airport in the country, making the UTI Long Beach campus a great place to train and pursue a career. Plus, the program at UTI Long Beach is designed for students to complete aviation mechanic training in just 18 months, so you can feel confident pursuing a career in an industry you’re passionate about.
4175 East Conant Street
Long Beach, CA 90808
M-F | 8am-5pm | Hours
TU&TH | 10am, 2pm, 6pm
W | 10 am & 2 pm
F&SAT | 10am & 1pm
562-541-7000 | Campus
800-834-7308 | Admissions
844-308-8840 |  Financial Aid
844-308-8838 |  Student Services
562-541-7058 |  Career Services
* If you wish to post a job please click here.
Whether you’re looking for a hands-on career or you have a passion for aviation, UTI Long Beach can help provide the training needed to pursue an entry-level role as an aviation mechanic. Click on the button below to get started today.
Take 60 seconds and find out how you can get trained.
1) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
2) For program outcome information and other disclosures, visit www.uti.edu/disclosures.
18) UTI now offers all of its automotive, diesel, motorcycle and marine technician training in a blended learning format consisting of online lecture courses along with in-person, hands-on lab training.
57) The Airframe & Powerplant and Aviation Maintenance Technology programs prepare graduates for entry-level positions using the provided training, primarily as aviation maintenance technicians. Estimated annual salary is for Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians as published in the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ May 2021 Occupational Employment and Wages. Entry-level salaries are lower for graduates. UTI and MIAT are educational institutions and cannot guarantee employment or salary. Graduates’ achievements vary. Individual circumstances and wages depend on economic factors, personal credentials, work experience, industry certifications, the location of the employer, and their compensation programs. Some graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than as aviation maintenance technicians, such as turbine technicians or field technicians. Salary information for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts: The average annual entry-level salary range for persons employed as Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians (49-3011) in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is $45,600 to $67,950 (Massachusetts Labor and Workforce Development, May 2020 data https://lmi.dua.eol.mass.gov/lmi/OccupationalEmploymentAndWageSpecificOccupations#). Salary information for North Carolina: The U.S. Department of Labor estimates the hourly median wage for skilled aviation technicians in North Carolina is $28.90 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, May 2021 Occupational Employment and Wages, Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians). The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not publish entry-level salary data. However, the 25th and 10th percentile of hourly earnings in North Carolina are $23.54 and $18.25, respectively.
71) The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that total national employment for Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians will be 139,800 by 2031. See Table 1.2 Employment by detailed occupation, 2021 and projected 2031, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov, viewed October 13, 2022. The Universal Technical Institute family of schools are educational institutions and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
77) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI prepares graduates for entry-level careers using the provided training. UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Some UTI graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than those listed.
79) Pending FAA approval, UTI’s aviation maintenance programs prepare graduates to apply & test for FAA mechanic certification. Graduates who don’t obtain certification may have fewer career opportunities. Some graduates get jobs other than aviation maintenance technician such as turbine or field technicians. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment, salary, or FAA certification.
Universal Technical Institute of Illinois, Inc. is approved by the Division of Private Business and Vocational Schools of the Illinois Board of Higher Education.