Find out what some of our graduates are doing today in pursuing their successful careers.
Learn more about how we assist our veterans from VA funding to exclusive scholarships.
UTI welcomes General Education Diploma students. Find out more in our resources.
$15 million in grants & scholarships available this year for those who qualify10
Take 60 seconds and find out how you can get trained.
Looking to train to enter the diesel industry? Located near Costa Mesa, CA, Universal Technical Institute’s (UTI) diesel mechanic school can help! Our diesel school teaches students the essentials of maintenance, diagnosis and repair so that they can feel prepared to pursue entry-level careers once they graduate!1
Get career ready in just 45 weeks.7 Through a combination of instructor-led online training and hands-on practice in state-of-the-industry labs, students develop foundational knowledge that employers can build upon!1,18
UTI’s experienced instructors position themselves as mentors to help students learn the hard and soft skills this field calls for. In addition to supportive instructors, students also gain the knowledge needed to test for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification after graduation!
Even better? They can substitute their education for one of the two years of hands-on experience required to become ASE certified.
No previous experience is required to attend UTI’s diesel school. We build students’ knowledge and skillset from the ground up through the following courses:
The above courses are part of our Long Beach diesel school’s core program. Once complete, eligible students can apply to take specialized diesel training11 with industry-leading names at other UTI campuses nationwide. Specialized diesel training programs at UTI include:
California can be an exciting state to pursue a diesel technician career!1 According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), California had the second-highest employment level of bus and truck mechanics and diesel engine specialists in the U.S. in May 2021.
When it comes to salary, the BLS reported the median annual salary for bus and truck mechanics and diesel engine specialists in the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA metropolitan area as $65,590 in May 2022.29 This means half of the diesel technicians earned more and half earned less. Keep in mind that salary depends on several factors, including experience, employer, demand and cost of living in the area.
It is important to note that the availability of the following roles may vary depending on Costa Mesa’s current needs.
Most of our diesel mechanic training grads start in entry-level positions. Some common entry-level roles may include:
While most of our grads start out working as entry-level technicians or in other entry-level roles, as with any industry, over time, you may be able to advance in your career with hard work. Some entry-level techs eventually grow into fleet managers, mobile diesel mechanics, or service managers.77
Visit our career guide to learn more about exciting career paths within the diesel industry.
Getting to our Long Beach, CA Diesel Mechanic School from Costa Mesa is a simple commute!
4175 East Conant Street    Long Beach, CA 90808 M-F | 8am-5pm | Hours Campus Tours     TU&TH | 10am, 2pm, 6pm     W | 10 am & 2 pm     F&SAT | 10am & 1pm
Airframe & Powerplant program coming to UTI Long Beach pending FAA approval79
Learn to maintain, diagnose and repair various types of automobiles in less than one year!7 Graduates earn an Associate of Occupational Studies degree and the knowledge needed to test for ASE certification.
Developed in conjunction with industry-leader I-CAR, this 51- to 54-week training program prepares students to restore vehicles damaged by collision. Graduates can earn I-CAR credentials and a diploma of completion!
Learn different welding processes through hands-on courses taught in labs that mirror the field. In less than nine months, students can receive a diploma and can begin pursuing entry-level welding careers in a variety of industries.1
Train for aviation mechanics.79 Our airframe and powerplant school (coming to UTI Long Beach pending FAA approval) doesn’t require any previous experience and teaches students to maintain various aircraft in just 18 months.
Classes start every three to six weeks, and UTI Long Beach is just 20 miles from Costa Mesa! Why wait? Here are a few ways you can get started:
COVID-19 FAQs | COVID-19 Updates | Lab Info | CDC’s COVID-19 website
1) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
2) For program outcome information and other disclosures, visit www.uti.edu/disclosures.
7) Some programs may require longer than one year to complete.
18) UTI now offers all of its automotive, diesel, motorcycle and marine technician training in a blended learning format consisting of online lecture courses along with in-person, hands-on lab training.
29) UTI’s Diesel Technology Program prepares graduates for entry-level positions using the provided training, primarily as diesel technicians. Estimated annual salary shown above is for Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists as published in the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ May 2021 Occupational Employment and Wages. Entry-level salaries are lower for UTI graduates. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Individual circumstances and wages depend on economic factors, personal credentials, work experience, industry certifications, the location of the employer, and their compensation programs. Some UTI graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than as diesel truck technicians, including in industries such as heavy equipment repair, power generation, and agriculture. Salary information for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts: The average annual entry-level salary range for persons employed as Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists (49-3031) in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is $32,360 to $94,400 (Massachusetts Labor and Workforce Development, May 2020 data https://lmi.dua.eol.mass.gov/lmi/OccupationalEmploymentAndWageSpecificOccupations#). Salary information for North Carolina: The U.S. Department of Labor estimates the hourly median wage for skilled diesel technicians in North Carolina is $22.89 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, May 2021 Occupational Employment and Wages, Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists). The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not publish entry-level salary data. However, the 25th and 10th percentile of hourly earnings in North Carolina are $18.59 and $17.03, respectively.
77) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI prepares graduates for entry-level careers using the provided training. UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Some UTI graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than those listed.
79) Pending FAA approval, UTI aviation maintenance programs prepare graduates to apply and test for FAA mechanic certification. Graduates who don’t obtain certification may have fewer career opportunities. Some graduates get jobs in aviation or related industries other than as aviation maintenance technicians. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment, salary or FAA certification.
Universal Technical Institute of Illinois, Inc. is approved by the Division of Private Business and Vocational Schools of the Illinois Board of Higher Education.
Start your journey toward a new career