Find out what some of our graduates are doing today in pursuing their successful careers.
Learn more about how we assist our veterans from VA funding to exclusive scholarships.
UTI welcomes General Education Diploma students. Find out more in our resources.
$15 million in grants & scholarships available this year for those who qualify10
Take 60 seconds and find out how you can get trained.
Located near Tamarac, Florida, Universal Technical Institute (UTI) offers a diesel school that provides hands-on training18 for repairing and maintaining diesel engines and equipment. The curriculum at UTI Miramar was developed in conjunction with industry leaders and is designed to help prepare students to pursue careers in the industry.1
Diesel mechanic skills are in demand across various industries, including trucking and transportation, power generation, automotive repair, forestry, agriculture and more. UTI’s Miramar, FL, diesel mechanic school is a 45-week program7 that helps build those skills in aspiring diesel mechanics.
Through a blended-learning model of online instruction and hands-on application, students learn the fundamentals behind diagnosing, repairing and maintaining diesel engines and equipment. Upon completing the Diesel training program, students can pursue entry-level technician roles.
The following courses are part of the diesel school’s core program:
Diesel graduates from UTI Miramar may choose to head for another UTI campus to apply for manufacturer-specific diesel training. UTI offers five specialized training programs that focus on diesel, all of which present opportunities to earn certifications and/or qualifications specific to industry-leading brands. The programs include:
Diesel technicians in Florida can be found at several different industries depending on preference, skill level and job availability. But what about salary?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median annual salary for bus and truck mechanics and diesel engine specialists in the South Florida area was $56,190 in May 2022.29 This means half earned more and half earned less. Keep in mind that salary depends on several factors, including experience, employer, demand and cost of living in the area.
Most graduates of UTI’s Diesel mechanic training program begin their careers as entry-level technicians. Let’s look at a few entry-level roles and their respective descriptions:
While most diesel school grads start in entry-level roles, as with any industry, over time, you may be able to advance in your career with hard work, and it’s never too early to set your goals! Learn more about diesel tech career paths on our careers page.77
Although the diesel career paths mentioned are exciting to set your sights on, keep in mind that their availability may be limited in Tamarac at the time of graduation, depending on demand. However, UTI Miramar has a team of Career Services members that keeps in contact with local and national employers to help graduates locate opportunities that align with their desires and skill sets.1
Our diesel mechanic school in Miramar is about 23 miles from Tamarac. Here’s how to get to our campus (this route includes tolls):
2601 SW 145th Avenue     Miramar, FL 33027 M-F | 8am-5pm | Hours Campus Tours     TU&TH | 10am, 2pm, 6pm     W | 10 am & 2 pm     F&SAT | 10am & 1pm
Not sure about diesel mechanic school, but still considering an education in the skilled trades? UTI Miramar also offers Automotive, Welding, and Airframe & Powerplant training programs.79
*Airframe & Powerplant program coming to UTI Miramar pending FAA approval.
UTI Miramar’s auto mechanic school offers a 51-week program7 where students learn to maintain and repair automobiles using current tools and technology. Students learn about powertrains and transmissions, brake systems, emissions performance, electronic systems, and more.
The welding school at UTI Miramar consists of a 36-week program designed to educate students on the types of welding commonly used in the industry. Led by expert instructors, students gain hands-on practice using the equipment commonly found in the field. They also learn to read blueprints, plan projects, weld in various positions, adhere to safety standards and more.
Our 18-month airframe and powerplant school79 consists of courses like Powerplant Lubrication and Propellers, Turbine Designs and Operations, Airframe Electrical, and more. Developed with the help of industry leaders, the program is designed to help students build fundamental skills to maintain and repair various aircraft. Upon graduation, students are prepared to pursue entry-level aviation mechanic roles.1 (Program coming to UTI Miramar pending FAA approval.)
Take the first steps toward a future as a diesel technician at UTI Miramar! Our industry relationships, comprehensive curriculum, and Career Services are all part of the experience. Request info today, and we’ll get you connected with an Admissions Representative!
COVID-19 FAQs | COVID-19 Updates | Lab Info | CDC’s COVID-19 website
1) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
2) For program outcome information and other disclosures, visit www.uti.edu/disclosures.
7) Some programs may require longer than one year to complete.
10) Financial aid, scholarships and grants are available to those who qualify. Awards vary due to specific conditions, criteria and state.
15) Manufacturer-paid advanced training programs are conducted by UTI on behalf of manufacturers who determine acceptance criteria and conditions. These programs are not part of UTI’s accreditation. Programs available at select locations.
18) UTI now offers all of its automotive, diesel, motorcycle and marine technician training in a blended learning format consisting of online lecture courses along with in-person, hands-on lab training.
29) UTI’s Diesel Technology Program prepares graduates for entry-level positions using the provided training, primarily as diesel technicians. Estimated annual salary shown above is for Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists as published in the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ May 2022 Occupational Employment and Wages. Entry-level salaries are lower for UTI graduates. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Individual circumstances and wages depend on economic factors, personal credentials, work experience, industry certifications, the location of the employer, and their compensation programs. Some UTI graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than as diesel truck technicians, including in industries such as heavy equipment repair, power generation, and agriculture. Salary information for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts: The average annual entry-level salary range for persons employed as Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists (49-3031) in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is $32,360 to $94,400 (Massachusetts Labor and Workforce Development, May 2020 data https://lmi.dua.eol.mass.gov/lmi/OccupationalEmploymentAndWageSpecificOccupations#). Salary information for North Carolina: The U.S. Department of Labor estimates the hourly median wage for skilled diesel technicians in North Carolina is $24.18 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, May 2022 Occupational Employment and Wages, Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists). The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not publish entry-level salary data. However, the 25th and 10th percentile of hourly earnings in North Carolina are $20.56 and $17.49, respectively.
46) Students must maintain a minimum 3.5 GPA and 95% attendance rate.
77) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI prepares graduates for entry-level careers using the provided training. UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Some UTI graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than those listed.
79) Pending FAA approval, UTI aviation maintenance programs prepare graduates to apply and test for FAA mechanic certification. Graduates who don’t obtain certification may have fewer career opportunities. Some graduates get jobs in aviation or related industries other than as aviation maintenance technicians. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment, salary or FAA certification.
Universal Technical Institute of Illinois, Inc. is approved by the Division of Private Business and Vocational Schools of the Illinois Board of Higher Education.
Start your journey toward a new career