Find out what some of our graduates are doing today in pursuing their successful careers.
Learn more about how we assist our veterans from VA funding to exclusive scholarships.
UTI welcomes General Education Diploma students. Find out more in our resources.
$15 million in grants & scholarships available this year for those who qualify10
It only takes a few minutes to find out how you can get trained.
Diesel mechanics are essential to the industries that keep our society running, such as agriculture, transportation and power generation, and their skills are in demand across the nation. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), total diesel technician employment in the United States is expected to exceed 305,000 by 2031.48
Florida is no exception to the demand for diesel mechanic skills. If you live Fort Lauderdale, take the first step toward a career that matters by pursuing a diesel mechanic education.
A diesel mechanic career can be exciting for critical thinkers who enjoy problem-solving and using their hands. If this sounds like you, keep reading to learn about diesel mechanic schools near you, diesel mechanic career outlook and more.
Diesel mechanic training programs, such as the one offered at Universal Technical Institute’s (UTI) Miramar campus, help equip aspiring mechanics with the basic knowledge they need to perform diesel-engine maintenance, diagnosis and repair.1 This can consist of:
A well-rounded program can also help graduates gain the entry-level skills many employers are looking for. Let’s discuss specific things to look for during your “diesel mechanic school near me” search to guarantee you’re choosing the best option.
While looking for diesel mechanic schools in Florida, examine whether or not their curriculum is relevant to current industry standards.
UTI has various industry relationships with manufacturers, aftermarket parts companies and employers who have helped us craft the curriculum.1 Students receive industry-aligned instruction and hands-on practice in labs that represent those in the field.
Another important thing to consider is if the diesel mechanic school offers Career Services. UTI’s Miramar campus offers career development classes, career coaching, on-campus interview training and practice, access to a nationwide job database and resume development.
Last but certainly not least, make sure the training program is accredited. UTI programs are accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) — an agency recognized by the Department of Education whose mission is to ensure a quality education.
UTI’s diesel mechanic program isn't only designed to prepare graduates to pursue a career, but also to take Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification exams. UTI trains our students with the following courses:
Our curriculum also focuses on helping students develop the soft skills necessary for a career, such as communication and professionalism.
UTI diesel tech graduate, Angela Barbosa, shared, “The requirements they have as far as professionalism, attendance and classwork were very relevant for what I’m doing in my apprenticeship now. All of that prepared me for not just the environment I’m working in but also changed me on a personal level for the better.”6
Diesel mechanic certification is not required but may help you pursue a career. According to the BLS, employers may prefer to hire candidates with certification.
The National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) is a well-known nonprofit organization that identifies quality mechanics within the field through certification.
The ASE offers a variety of diesel mechanic certifications, including:
To become ASE certified, diesel mechanics must have two years of hands-on work experience and pass an online exam that thoroughly assesses their ability to accurately service, diagnose and repair diesel-powered vehicles and machines. Luckily, UTI can help prepare aspiring mechanics for both requirements.
Graduates of the UTI Miramar diesel mechanic school can substitute their training for one of the two years of required experience. Additionally, all UTI’s instructors carry ASE certification, and the institution itself is Master Certified by the ASE Education Foundation, so graduates can feel prepared to take the exam.
Florida could be a great place to pursue a diesel mechanic career. According to the BLS:
Aspiring diesel mechanics can pursue careers in various industries, including trucking and transportation, state and local governments, field service, repair and maintenance and power generation. UTI graduates can pursue the following entry-level roles.
Most of our grads start out working as entry-level technicians or in other entry-level roles. As with any industry, over time, you may be able to advance in your career with hard work. Here are a few advanced roles in this industry:77
UTI’s Miramar campus is approximately 27 miles southwest of Fort Lauderdale. Commuters can take the I-595 West and I-75 South to get there. Find detailed directions below:
In addition to Fort Lauderdale, other nearby communities include Miami, Hollywood, Boca Raton and Kissimmee. Some students unwind at one of the nearby beaches, while others pay a visit to the Homestead-Miami Speedway!
Not sure about diesel mechanic school? Additional UTI Miramar programs offered include:
Miramar automotive school is an intensive 51-week program7 that equips students with the skills and knowledge necessary to pursue careers the field.
From engine service and repair to advanced technology, hybrid services advising, powertrains and transmissions, vehicle brakes systems, as well as electronic systems and climate control technologies, the courses cover the basics of automotive technology. Completion of these courses earns students an occupational associate degree (OAD).
Through industry-aligned instruction and hands-on application in labs that mirror real-world shops, students are prepared to pursue entry-level positions within a variety of industries when they graduate.1
UTI’s welding school is a 36-week program developed in conjunction with Lincoln Electric — an industry leader in welding equipment and materials.
The curriculum covers everything from safety standards to the basics of the four types of arc welding. Throughout the program, students gain experience learning with the tools and machines found in the field.
Upon graduating, they’ll have entry-level welding skills and a diploma. Most welding school graduates enter the workforce as entry-level fabrication welders, wirers and welder fitters.77
Take the first step toward a diesel mechanic career with training from UTI Miramar. In less than one year, you could gain the technical skills that employers desire.7 Can't wait to get started? Request more information online or schedule a campus tour today!
Take 60 seconds and find out how you can get trained.
1) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
2) For program outcome information and other disclosures, visit www.uti.edu/disclosures.
6) UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Individual circumstances and wages depend on personal credentials and economic factors. Work experience, industry certifications, the location of the employer and their compensation programs affect wages. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
7) Some programs may require longer than one year to complete.
10) Financial aid, scholarships and grants are available to those who qualify. Awards vary due to specific conditions, criteria and state.
29) UTI’s Diesel Technology Program prepares graduates for entry-level positions using the provided training, primarily as diesel technicians. Estimated annual salary shown above is for Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists as published in the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ May 2022 Occupational Employment and Wages. Entry-level salaries are lower for UTI graduates. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Individual circumstances and wages depend on economic factors, personal credentials, work experience, industry certifications, the location of the employer, and their compensation programs. Some UTI graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than as diesel truck technicians, including in industries such as heavy equipment repair, power generation, and agriculture. Salary information for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts: The average annual entry-level salary range for persons employed as Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists (49-3031) in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is $32,360 to $94,400 (Massachusetts Labor and Workforce Development, May 2020 data https://lmi.dua.eol.mass.gov/lmi/OccupationalEmploymentAndWageSpecificOccupations#). Salary information for North Carolina: The U.S. Department of Labor estimates the hourly median wage for skilled diesel technicians in North Carolina is $24.18 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, May 2022 Occupational Employment and Wages, Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists). The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not publish entry-level salary data. However, the 25th and 10th percentile of hourly earnings in North Carolina are $20.56 and $17.49, respectively.
48) The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that total national employment for Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists will be 305,800 by 2031. See Table 1.2 Employment by detailed occupation, 2021 and projected 2031, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov, viewed October 13, 2022. UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary.
77) UTI is an educational institution and cannot guarantee employment or salary. UTI prepares graduates for entry-level careers using the provided training. UTI graduates’ achievements may vary. Some UTI graduates get jobs within their field of study in positions other than those listed.
Universal Technical Institute of Illinois, Inc. is approved by the Division of Private Business and Vocational Schools of the Illinois Board of Higher Education.
Start your journey toward a new career