$15 million in grants & scholarships available this year for those who qualify10

A close up of an engine in a Universal Technical Institute lab

How the GI Bill® Can Help with Tuition

If you are a member of active duty, Selected Reserve or National Guard armed forces, you could get help paying for your education through the GI Bill®. 21

GI Bill® benefits extend to those studying in trade schools like Universal Technical Institute (UTI).

“Employers often love veterans, so when their military experience is combined with a UTI education, they have career options when they graduate,”1 says Ted Groff, a financial aid director at UTI .

Here’s everything you need to know about the GI Bill® and school.

Who Qualifies for the GI Bill®?

There are currently four active major GI Bill® programs. Qualifications vary depending on the program.

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill®: You must have served at least 30 days of continuous active duty service after September 10, 2001. In addition, you must have been discharged due to a service-connected disability or received an honorable discharge following serving an aggregate of 90 days of active duty service after September 10, 2001. Those who also qualify for this include all Title 10 active duty supporting named contingency operations; Title 32 service for the purpose of organizing, administering, recruiting, instructing or training the National Guard; Title 32 service under section 502(f) for the purpose of responding to a national emergency; and all voluntary active duty except those for medical care and medical evaluation.
  • Montgomery GI Bill®: You qualify if you contribute $100 a month for the first 12 months you are in active duty, or qualify under VEAP conversion; have completed high school or have an equivalent certificate before you apply for benefits; have served at least two years on active duty; and received an honorable discharge from active duty.
  • Reserve and Guard GI Bill®: You qualify for the Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) if you have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve or Guard signed after June 30, 1985; have completed your initial active duty for training (IADT); have met the requirement to receive a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before completing IADT; and remain in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation and Education Program: You have received or will receive a discharge that is other than dishonorable, have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10% or a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), and submit a completed application.

How Much Does the GI Bill® Pay For?

The GI Bill® pays according to the number of credits you take and how much active duty service you have. The Montgomery GI Bill payment rates depend on factors including credit load.

How Long Does It Take for the GI Bill® to Pay My Tuition?

After you file your initial application, it can take up to 10 weeks to process the application.

How Many Months of School Does the GI Bill® Pay For?

The GI Bill® covers 36 months of school.

Does the GI Bill® Pay for School Fees?

Once you’re enrolled in school, the GI Bill® covers mandatory fees that are applicable to all students. The GI Bill® does not cover fees including application fees, parking fees, change of schedule fees and other fees that do not apply to all students.

How Much Does the GI Bill® Pay For Housing?

The Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) is generally the same as the military Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents. The MHA is based on the school’s ZIP code. It is paid at a percentage based on training time.

Is There a Time Limit For Using My GI Bill®?

It depends. If you left the military after January 1, 2013, there is no time limit on using the GI Bill®. If you were discharged prior to that date and are using the Montgomery GI Bill®, you have 10 years from the discharge date to use all of the GI Bill®. Those who are discharged prior to January 1, 2013, and are using the Post-9/11 GI Bill® have 15 years from the discharge to use all of the GI Bill®.

Is the GI Bill® Considered Federal Financial Aid?

No. Students using the GI Bill® are still eligible for student loans, scholarships10 and Pell Grants.

Can I Still Use My GI Bill® if I Already Used Part of It and Stopped?

Yes. You can use the GI Bill® for any period of time, including if you take time off and reapply to use it again later.

How Much Will I Get With the GI Bill® at a Specific School?

The VA has a GI Bill® comparison tool online you can use to compare benefits based on the schools that interest you.

Does the GI Bill® Pay the School Directly or Do I Get the Money?

If you are attending a private or foreign school, you will receive an annual maximum of $25,162.14. In either case, you will receive money for the MHA, books and supplies.

Can You Use the GI Bill® to Attend a Trade School?

Yes. GI Bill® payments are similar to those for attending a traditional college.

Have GI Bill® Questions?

Our Military & Veterans Services professionals are here to help. UTI offers a Salute to Service Grant for military veterans and military-only campus orientations.22 We thank you for your service and want to make your post-military journey a successful one. Click below or call (800) 834-7308 for information.