1098-t Tax Form

Frequently Asked Questions

Disclaimer: The information provided on this web page is for reference purposes only and shall NOT be construed as tax advice. Please consult a qualified tax expert for advice on computing, claiming, or determining qualification for any tax benefits related to education expenses.

What is Form 1098-T?

An eligible educational institution such as Universal Technical Institute is required by the IRS to furnish a Form 1098-T to report tuition and related expenses for each student who enrolls in the institution. The student or the person who claims the student as a dependent (e.g., the parent) may use the Form 1098-T information to claim a tax credit or take a deduction on his income tax return.

When will my 1098-T be ready for me?

Form 1098-T is ready to be downloaded electronically in early January of each year, for all eligible current and former students with enrollment activity in the prior calendar year. UTI uses Vangent TRA, a tax reporting service, to provide Form 1098-T to our students. Unless a student opts for electronic receipt of the 1098-T, the form will be mailed in the last week of January to the default mailing address in UTI’s student database.

How can I receive my 1098-T electronically?

It's easy! Just log in to access your account at http://tra.vangent.com/.

If you do not have an existing account with Vangent from last year, please set up your account using the following instructions:
  • Click on "First Time Students"
  • Set up your account according to the instructions. You can set up your account using either your SSN or student ID information.
  • After retrieving your 1098-T online, you may print as many duplicate copies as desired.
  • Once you set up your account, Form 1098-T information is available to you on the website year round

When will my 1098-T be mailed to me? What address is the form mailed to?

If you do not opt for electronic receipt of the form prior to the last week of January, your 1098-T will be mailed during the last week of January to the default mailing address shown in UTI’s student database.

I did not opt for electronic receipt of 1098-T before the last week of January. Can I still access the form online?

Yes. You may access the Vangent TRA site at http://tra.vangent.com/ anytime during the year and set up your account.

I tried to set up my account on the website but it informs me that it does not have my record on file. What happened?

There are several possibilities:
  • You are a non-resident international student. Per IRS rules, if you are a non-resident international student, your information was not reported to the IRS and you will not be issued a form 1098-T.
  • UTI does not have your correct SSN in our database. Please call the accounting department at the campus you attend to verify your SSN.
  • UTI did not receive your tuition payments during the year.

What is included in the Total Tuition Payments Received (Box 1) on form 1098-T?

Tuition payments received by UTI from ANY sources during the year.

What is NOT included in the total tuition payments received on form 1098-T?

Tuition waivers, UTI Internal Scholarships and articulation discounts.

What is included in Scholarships or Grants (Box 5) on form 1098-T?

Grants and scholarships, except for UTI Internal Scholarships, are included in Box 5. The amount of scholarships or grants may reduce the amount of any allowable tuition and fees deduction or the education credit the student may claim for the year.

Do I need to submit a copy of form 1098-T with my taxes?

No, it is not necessary to submit a copy of the form with your taxes.

Who can claim a tax credit or tax deduction related to the tuition and fees paid?

Either the student or the person who claims the student as a dependent (e.g., the parent), but not both, may claim the tax credit or take the deduction. For more details, please see IRS Publication 970: Tax Benefits for Education.

I paid my qualified tuition and related expenses with student loans. Can I still claim a tax credit or the tax deduction?

Yes. Loan funds should be considered in the same manner as cash payments when calculating a tax credit or the tax deduction. However, any scholarships, grants, or other non-taxable aid must be deducted from the amount of qualified tuition and related expenses paid.

What are some of the additional resources I can use to help me claiming the tax benefits?

The resources listed below contain information that may help individuals determine eligibility for tax credits:

I have additional questions regarding the Form 1098-T. Who should I contact?

Please call the campus you attend and ask to speak to the Form 1098-T contact. In addition, you are welcome to stop by the accounting department of your campus to get any of your questions answered.